TFO Axiom #4

Started by Jan Bruins, January 31, 2012, 10:34:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan Bruins

Te koop: TFO Axiom #4     9.0 Ft   vierdelig.
Hengel is zeer weinig gebruikt.
Ik doe hem weg omdat ik hem te strak vindt, het is gewoon niet mijn ding.
Prijs € 100,-

http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/products/rods/axiom.html

Fly Rod Review: TFO Axiom Series

Last October, Rick Pope put a TFO Axiom 5 weight in my hands at an FFF regional conclave.  I took it outside to the casting pond in a ripping wind.  I noticed a few things about this rod right away that really impressed me.

First, the rod has exceptional esthetics for a TFO fly rod.  If good looking fly rods are important to you, the TFO Axiom will stack up to the Winstons, Sages, and Orvis rods that you usually drool over.  The Axiom fly rod is a beautiful blue with red and gold trim and accents, including gold stripping guide inserts.  The cork is very nice and uses some accent and cap rings of impregnated cork that enhance both looks and durability.  The reel seat is color-keyed woven carbon fiber.  The TFO Axiom fly rods are real lookers.

But the Axiom also excels in terms of how it feels.  This is accomplished in three ways.  First, the TFO Axiom fly rods have a grip with a slightly reduced diameter compared to most TFO fly rods.  Less cork between your nerve endings and the rod blank means greater sensitivity and connection to the rod itself.  This allows you to soften your grip on the rod, reducing fatigue and stress on tissue and nerves in your hands and lower arms.  Now, there is a give-and-take relationship between what I just said and the swing-weight of a fly rod.  The whole equation has to balance out.  The TFO Axiom is also lighter than some of TFO's other offerings in similar line weight ratings and lengths.  And the Axiom is made with a proprietary, patent-pending (last I heard) vibration dampening technology in the relatively fast action blank.

I would classify the TFO Axiom 5 weight and 7 weight that I now own as medium-fast action fly rods not unlike most other general purpose fly rods from Temple Fork Outfitters, but perhaps just a bit faster.  Certainly, they are not as fast action as the TFO TiCr or TiCrX rods.  And I have read comments and reviews from others who have asserted that the Axioms are faster.  I don't know how anyone who has cast all three rods could come to that conclusion.  I own them all in 5, 7, and 8 weight.  And I just shake my head when I read something like that.  Let me put it this way...

I trout fish with a TFO Axiom 5 weight.  But when I hit the saltwater on a windy day with a 450 grain sinking line, I'm rigging up the TFO TiCrX 8 weight.  That should tell you which rod I consider to have a stiffer action.

With that said, I'll tell you something else about the TFO Axiom fly rods though:  I consider them excellent saltwater flats rods!  Before I fish the flats again, I plan to buy an 8 weight Axiom so that I will have a 7 and an 8.  The example I gave above was very specific:  high wind and heavy line.  That's when I go to the TiCrX.  A TFO Axiom can handle anything you will ask of any general purpose fresh or saltwater fly rod with strength, speed, finesse, and accuracy!

And that's what I learned at the casting pond in October.  The Axiom 5 weight was drop-dead accurate at all ranges from 10-15 feet all the way out to about 70 feet even in a ripping wind.  The TFO Axiom is what I call a true repeater.  If you pick the line up and lay it down several times in a row it will land the fly in exactly the same spot over and over again regardless of the distance.  This means you've got a very well-formed blank and well-tuned finished fly rod for a hollow carbon fiber design in your hand.  Most decent fly rods should do it pretty well out to about 30 feet.  But then you begin to separate the men from the boys.  And by the time you get to 55 or 60 feet, you're seeing the cream rise to the top...if your basic casting stroke doesn't have flaws in it that cause problems for all the rods.

I acquired my first one right then.  I was going to be fishing for the next several days, and I really wanted to put the 5 weight Axiom to the test where it really counts:  on the river!  I spent those days drifting high, fast water in a boat.  We were dead drifting heavy nymph rigs, casting streamers to the bank, and occasionally even doing some hopper and dry fly fishing in the slack water.  The Axiom handled it all beautifully.  I've never had a 5 weight fly rod with which I could transition so smoothly between the chuck-n-duck dead drift rigs and then casting dry flies 50' up under overhanging trees into slack water.  And that is just because the TFO Axiom is so intuitively responsive. 
An experienced caster can feel exactly what the Axiom is doing in her or his hand all the way through the casting stroke, be it a short or long cast and regardless of what sort of terminal tackle is on the leader.

After that trip, I went home and bought a TFO 7 weight Axiom fly rod to use as my primary demonstration and teaching rod.  And in April I landed the largest Rainbow trout of my life on the Axiom 5 weight after about a 15 minute struggle that included a 1 minute wait-and-see while she had me hung on the root wad she ran up under - and had come out from under to take my fly.  The Axiom has guts, too!  This was a Rainbow trout that weighed well over six pounds in fast water.  And I was restricted to a fairly small amount of bank in terms of mobility.  I was also using a TFO Prism fly reel that took on a pretty important role in this struggle and performed flawlessly...just in case you're interested in acquiring a very good and inexpensive fly reel.
I don't drink water, fish f*ck in it...

weerwolf

Jan, ik heb er zondag ook even mee gegooit. Dit is idd een helen strakke stok. Mijn voorkeur gaat uit naar zachte hengels.
We hebben er een paar verschillende lijnen op gehad en het werpt wel
suc6 met de verkoop
Als iedereen was zoals ik moest zijn, was de wereld perfect.

Jan Bruins

Hey Roelof,

Ja daar ligt mijn voorkeur ook.

Het is echt een hengel voor de liefhebber van strakke stokken, die heeft er gewoon een dijk van een hengel aan.

Useless

Mooie strakke stokken Jan. Ik heb zelf de #5 en #8. Ik verbaas me wel een beetje over de review die bij je advertentie staat. Daar staat dat schrijver vindt dat de Axiom wat trager is dan de TICRX terwijl anderen juis het omgekeerde vinden. Ik schaar me onder de anderen. Voor mijn gevoel zijn mijn Axioms sneller dan mijn TICRX'n. Ik weet niet hoe het met de #4 is maar vind zelf wel dat de #8 een beetje "underrated" is. Vind het meer een #9 dan een #8. Ik weet niet of dit met jouw viertje ook het geval is?

Jan Bruins

Je kunt hem rustig bestempelen als een #4/5 hengel denk ik.

Hij gooit prima met een #4, maar ook met een #5.

Voor de afstanden zou ik er een #4 opzetten en voor het kortere werk een #5.

Mooi allround voor in Nederland en de Duitse rivieren.

De TICRXen heb ik geen ervaringen mee en dus ook geen oordeel of vergelijk.

johannes

jan waar woon je?

zou em graag eens proberen/bekijken en over twee weken ben ik in nederland.

groeten johannes

Jan Bruins

Hallo Johannes,

ik woon in Eext, dat is een klein dorp in Drenthe onder de rook van Assen.

Je bent van harte welkom om hem te bekijken en te proberen.

johannes

oke dat is niet zo ver van m'n schoonouders van daan

is het goed al ik in de week van 20 februarie s' avonds een keer langs kom?

groeten

johannes

Jan Bruins

Dat is prima.

Ik ben meestal rond 16:45 thuis, dan is het nog licht.

Dus als je rond die tijd kunt komen kun je hem mooi eventjes uitproberen.

Een exacte datum moeten we tegen die tijd maar even afspreken.

weerwolf

wordt dit de eerste vliegvissers.nl export hengel?
Als iedereen was zoals ik moest zijn, was de wereld perfect.

Jan Bruins

Wie weet...............

Mooi export produkt toch, zo'n oerhollandse amerikaanse hengel  ;D

johannes

is goed laat je weten welke dagen het mij past.
pfffffffff wat moet je veel doen als je in nederland bent is dus echt geen vacantie  :)

Jan Bruins

Geloof ik graag.

Als je in verweggiestan woont en je bent een keertje over....allemaal verplichte nummers.

Tip: kom een keer stiekum.  :)

Jan Bruins

Hengel is geexporteerd naar Noorwegen  :)

Op deze posting mag een slotje

Sieger

Jan en Johannes beiden gefeliciteerd...!

Sieger