Bring back life form. Priority One. All other considerations secondary.

Started by Corsican Dave, June 13, 2016, 15:45:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Corsican Dave

aboard the nostromo
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Geirach

Corsican Dave

mission successful  8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Geirach

Corsican Dave

henkverhaar

Hoe heb jij die hengelsteun aan de thwart van die Ally gemonteerd?

Scaramouche

Nicely coloured pike. any trout in that lake left or is that jack-only water? Last time is was in Scotland locals complained about many lakes being taken over by pike. They couldn't really explain where they came from.
Liever 1 vis aan de haak, dan de lucht van 10

Corsican Dave

Quote from: henkverhaar on June 14, 2016, 20:10:16
Hoe heb jij die hengelsteun aan de thwart van die Ally gemonteerd?
hi there! it's the Scotty 242 rail mount adaptor with a 265 fly rod holder (which comes complete with a standard 241 side/deck mount). the thwart on the Ally is quite thick but I also used a few wraps of pvc tape to make it a better fit. as you can see, it works fine!  8)

just as a matter of interest, I've found the Ally to be quite difficult to handle in windy conditions because it's so light. but the addition of the camping gear etc makes it much easier to control

Corsican Dave

Quote from: Scaramouche on June 14, 2016, 20:47:58
Nicely coloured pike. any trout in that lake left or is that jack-only water? Last time is was in Scotland locals complained about many lakes being taken over by pike. They couldn't really explain where they came from.
yes, plenty of trout left!  :) but you're right; there are many lakes (lochs) where pike have been introduced illegally. where there are natural populations of both, such as the loch I canoed across, there are fine specimens of both species. I have caught a 10kg pike on the fly here and there is a large population of char and ferox trout

the other loch, where my friend caught the one shown, has only had pike for the past 4 years. it is widely believed that these were brought in by pike fishermen. this year is the first time we have seen evidence of dead-bait fishing on the lower loch. the estate is quite remote, so his would suggest that the dead-baiters "know something"..... it is environmental vandalism, of course. quite aside from the rubbish these idiots leave laying around    >:(

henkverhaar

Quote from: Corsican Dave on June 14, 2016, 22:50:56
hi there! it's the Scotty 242 rail mount adaptor

Ah, need to check that out...

Quotejust as a matter of interest, I've found the Ally to be quite difficult to handle in windy conditions because it's so light. but the addition of the camping gear etc makes it much easier to control

Yes, there are advantages and drawbacks to the Ally's design, and its light weight, coupled with its slightly oddball bow and stern shape (does not apply to the more modern flatwater models), make it quite susceptible to wind, especially when running one solo (I have the 15 foot model). Using ballast helps, and is quite necessary when using a 15 foot Ally solo anyway, since the thwart layout will not allow you to put the solo seat where it really should be, so standard trim is much too stern-heavy. I carry a 10 L folding water container (one of these lightweight camping contraptions) as a 'foldable rock' trim weight by default, but for tracking and stability, more weight is in fact needed (especially after losing 25 kilos myself...) Having said that, the Ally is a wonderful addition to a small canoe fleet, especially when travelling, and I wouldn't be without mine, even though at home I mainly use my 16 ft Mad River Explorer Royalex - which is not your ideal solo boat either ;-)